After purchasing your new HRIS software it is now time to implement your new system. This step could either be a “Step Two” in the purchasing of a new HRIS system or it could be the monkey wrench in the process. Common misconceptions and unclear timelines can greatly damage and slow the implementation process. It is important that a clear step-by-step process be outlined, a sturdy timeline be in place and common issues that normally arise, be discussed and prevented before the HRIS is implemented.
GENERAL TIMELINE FOR IMPLEMENTATION
A common misconception of implementing an HRIS is the time it takes to get your system up and running. This time includes installing the system, preparing and converting data, training users on how the system is used and trouble shooting to ensure users can be off and running after the system is installed. A typical install usually takes an average of six to eight weeks with a technician spending six to eight hours a day, one day a week. It is important that a timeline be established before the process begins and all involved in the process follows the timeline as closely as possible.
WHAT IS THE IMPLEMENTATION PROCESS?
- Discovery: In the discovery session, a project manager, consultant and your team drill-down on the information gathered during the Business Process Audit and discuss in detail your requirements, structure and the steps necessary to successfully integrate the solution into your environment. This is also the start of creating the timeline and assigning responsible parties for each step of the project. After the meeting, a finished timeline with dates is forwarded for your approval. It is important that these dates be carefully reviewed, as future changes can cause delays.
- Installation: Depending on the solution, installation is performed by your IT department, consultant or both. Some of the products may require skill sets that might require a consultant to do the installation.
- Data Conversion: Implementation of relevant HRMS data from your current systems. After core data is implemented, setup and configuration continues to complete this phase.
- Review and Testing: An important step in implementation is confirming that the information is accurate and business rules are working properly.
- Training: Training sessions should begin with an overview of the system. Through the knowledge gained during setup and review, time is needed to refine the steps required to use the system to match your internal processes. Training should be focused on the core aspects that prompted the purchase. During this entire process, be sure that your consultant records their observations regarding the need for additional training and implementation assistance.
- Going Live: This is the day your investment begins to pay dividends.
- Post Implementation Review: Some time after the go-live, a review of how the system is being used is necessary. Often, valuable functions are not being used most effectively or not at all. At this point, be sure your consultant provides guidance and remedial training to ensure that you obtain the full value from your investment.
THINGS THAT CAN TYPICALY GO WRONG DURING AN INSTAL
- Old system data is in an unstable format
- Old system data can not be found
- Unclear expectations
- Prep work has not been done or is incomplete
HOW TO PREVENT ISSUES FROM ARISING
Have a clear timeline – Realize it is going to take as much time to implement the system as it is going to take to prepare for implementation. Users and consultants should be working as a team to ensure the deadlines that were set before implementation are being met and followed.
Team effort- Users should be reading the manual at each step of the implementation to ensure all questions are being answered before they become an issue. Data that needs to be transferred from the old system to the new should be accessible and ready for the consultant. In most cases, this data is entered into the new system by the users, so be aware that this can take some time.
Clear expectations – Understand that the new system is not the old system. It is going to get some getting used to and some training for users to familiarize themselves with using the new system. The new system should not be used the way the old system was, this defeats the purpose of the new system.
Sage Abra HRMS Version 8.4, and Sage Abra Suite Version 7.7 are scheduled for release this summer. Both include enhancements, primarily to the Payroll, HR, Attendance, Link, and Workforce Connections modules.
The release incorporates 47 specific enhancements. Check out some of the highlighted enhancements in
our most recent newsletter. Also, sign up for a webcast on the updated versions by visiting our Free Webcasts page.
Dresser & Associates
Posted in Abra Alerts, Abra Attendance, Abra Employee Self Service, Abra eRecruiter, Abra ESS, Abra HR, Abra Payroll, Abra Support, Abra Training, Benefits enrollment, benefits messenger, customer service, Employee Management, Employee Self Service, HR Management, HR Software, HR Software News, HRIS, HRIS Software, HRMS, HRMS Software News, Human Resources, Sage Abra HRMS, Sage Abra News, Sage Compliance Services, Sage Support
Make sure and check out the newest addition to our website, the Knowledge Center! After months and months of hard work and collaboration with our web designers our newest resource section has gone live.
In the Knowledge Center you will find anything and everything having to do with HR, Payroll, Recruiting, Taxes, State and Federal information, reports, forms, calculators, performance management, and much more. We have created this site as a tool for our customers and all HR and Payroll professionals, to use as their one stop shop for information. Make sure you bookmark the spot as one of your favorites so you may always check back for needed information.
The site is designed for ease of use and so you can quickly find the information you are looking for. We will constantly be adding new information and resources to this site, and encourage you to provide us feedback and recommend any resources that we may have missed.
Keep an eye out for any articles, websites, or calculators that you would like to see added and if we add them we will reward you with a $5 gift card to Dunkin Donuts as a thanks.
Dresser & Associates
Posted in Abra Alerts, Abra Attendance, Abra Employee Self Service, Abra eRecruiter, Abra ESS, Abra HR, Abra Payroll, Abra Support, Abra Training, Benefits enrollment, benefits messenger, customer service, Employee Management, Employee Self Service, Hiring Process, HR Management, HR Software, HR Software News, HRIS, HRIS Software, HRMS, HRMS Software News, Human Resources, Performance Management, Recruiting Process, Sage Abra HRMS, Sage Abra News, Sage Compliance Services, succession planning, Talent management, Tax filing
In the coming weeks Dresser & Associates will sponsor a series of Sage Abra HRMS webinars spotlighting specific modules. Each webinar will be led by one of our senior consultants along with one of our very own Sage Abra customers. Several of our customers have agreed to take part in these sessions in order to give others a real look into how the system works for them and to share their experience within that particular module. Also, coinciding with these webinars I will be posting a series of blogs highlighting the modules as they go.
I highly recommend taking part in this series of webinars. Where else are you going to hear about the product straight from the horse’s mouth (pardon the expression)? If you are already an Sage Abra customer and you want to learn more about your product or how others are using it, if you are an Abra customer seeking other modules that may benefit you and your company or if you are not an Abra customer yet, but would like to gain some insight on the product and get some questions answered by Dresser and other users, these webinars are for you.
We will also have a webinar that will focus on Halogen’s Performance and Talent Management Software. This session will be taught by Jim Carty of Halogen Software and one of our joint customers, will be sharing his experiences within his use of both Abra and Halogen’s software together.
You can check out our website for more information on the webinars and to see a schedule of events. Register right away to reserve your spot!
Dresser & Associates
Posted in Abra Alerts, Abra Attendance, Abra Employee Self Service, Abra HR, Abra Payroll, Abra Support, Benefits enrollment, benefits messenger, Employee Management, HR Management, HR Software, HR Software News, HRIS, HRIS Software, HRMS, HRMS Software News, Human Resources, Performance Management, Sage Abra HRMS, Sage Abra News, Sage Support, Sage Training, succession planning, Talent management, Timberline